Saturday, November 21, 2009

Surveys

As I looked at my first survey, I felt that it showed me exactly what I already knew: I am technology-ignorant. I definitely had more weaknesses than I had strengths. The Technology Applications Inventory was divided into 4 strands: Foundations, Information Acquisition, Solving Problems, and Communications. In all four strands, my "no" answers outweighed my "yes" answers. This survey was a more personal survey of what I actually am able to do under those four strands addressed. The second survey, the SETDA, was the survey which really let me know that I knew nothing. It was very specific and gave a true picture of my knowledge of technology as an administrator. This survey addressed what is done for teachers as well as in the building to assure technology is being addressed as well as used. My minimal strengths in technology are that I can access information when I need it as well as navigate to find something. I know some terminology and can create a word document as well as share online. I do not yet know how to upload pictures or create PowerPoints. The SETDA revealed to me how far behind we are at my school in regard to providing training for our teachers, allowing students to learn more technology in computer classes, amount of time teachers use the computers and technology to teach with, and how limited we are in regard to the amount computers we have for our students. These 2 surveys certainly showed me what I am missing in regard to technology information and made me aware of what I need to do as a leader to help the teachers and students become proficient in technology. My most needed areas of improvement are found in the "Solving Problems" strand as well as the "Communications" strand. Although weak in the other two strands, these strands are very much what I need to focus on to receive more knowledge and skills in my future professional development.

No comments:

Post a Comment